Sunday, August 14, 2011

Beso de Vino Seleccion 2009 Carinena



A few weeks ago I wrote this little story http://acoupleofwines.blogspot.com/2011/07/domaine-des-entrefaux-crozes-hermitage.html about Syrah vs. Shiraz and the fact that I really enjoy Syrah from around the world more than I like Aussie Shiraz. I'm still not quite sure why this is, but it seems to play out pretty consistently for me and my and wife. One theory I have is that Aussie Shiraz tends to be 100% Shiraz or close to it and that other examples around the world will blend in some Grenache/Garnacha or other grape varietals and that the addition of additional grapes adds more depth and interest to Syrah.






Today I'm writing about a Syrah and Garnacha blend from the rather obscure Carinena region of north central Spain. With this wine the Syrah is the lead actor, but the Garnacha plays a small but important supporting role making up 15% of the blend that is aged in French oak for 3 months before bottling. The Beso de Vino Seleccion 2009 is a deep purple-red color in your glass and brings aromas of blackberries and blueberry pie along with some mild pepper and spice. There are also some very subtle caramel notes on the nose. In your glass, the blueberry pie has faded away, but the blackberry and the mellow pepper and spice from the nose stay right there for you to enjoy. With at least 30 minutes in decanter, the tannins are certainly present, but also soft and very pleasant. Overall, this wine is really nice for a price tag just under $10, and I highly recommend it for everyday drinking.






From a pairing standpoint, I wouldn't put this with your best Filet Mignon, but it would be perfect for everyday grilled red meats like flank steak, a cheeseburger, or even some nice smoky pulled pork. So for $10 or less, go get yourself a bottle and fire up the BBQ for some backyard fun.






Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment